I’m on Day 3 of Week 1 of “Living Beyond Yourself”… let’s just say I’m still working on the whole time and study with God thing. Anyway, today’s lesson was especially pertinent because of the time of year. Sunday is Palm Sunday and the following Sunday is Easter. I’ve heard the story of the last weeks of Jesus’ life over and over throughout my near 26 years of existence. Every time I hear or read it, it gets to me in the best way possible.
In today’s lesson, Beth (yes, we’re on a first name basis) outlined the ten characteristics of living a crucified life, based on lots of Scripture but Galatians 2:20 being the basis of it.
“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.
The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Here are the ten characteristics, which are not the easiest to digest. We have a lot to lay down for the One who laid it all down for us.
1. Few will understand.
2. You must abandon your own will and your own agenda.
3. Your intimate spiritual companions will be few.
4. Intense times of aloneness with God are required.
5. You will be constantly on the witness stand.
6. You must go “outside the camp”.
7. There will be times when your dignity is forfeited.
8. You must forego your rights.
9. You must accept that death is painful.
10. Because He was forsaken, you never will be.
That’s a lot to take in. I know what’s going to be on my mind in the coming days…