I know it’s not *technically* summer yet, but it’s in the 90’s in El Paso, so it feel like summer. Crazy to think we have over a month until the actual solstice! Anyway, I digress.
Summer has great memories. I’m pretty sure I’ve blogged about this before. Here’s a list of things I love about summer (which lasts for 6-7 months here. Haha.)
- Having more daylight, especially in the evenings. I love taking the puppy for walks right after the sun goes behind the mountains. Kids are playing in the street and people are outside. It’s nice. (P.S. She’s not really a puppy, but who cares?)
- Having more daylight in the morning, which forces me to get out of bed
- Tomatoes!!!! Can’t wait to get some of these from the farmer’s market, and hopefully my back yard. Tomatoes + cottage cheese + cracked black pepper = heaven.
- Iced tea. Fresh brewed, unsweetened, with lemon. Yes.
- Lazy days where you stay inside, watch movies and enjoy the A/C. We have a swamp cooler, but it still gets nice and cool in here!
- Birds chirping
- Green grass. Don’t get much of that around here, but when I do see it, it makes me really really happy.
- Staying up really late and reading in bed with a cool breeze coming from the window. Okay, this is mainly something I’d do when I lived at home. I really should read more…..
- Summer foods that don’t need to be hot… pasta salad, BLT’s, potato salad, Jell-O, fruit.
- Burgers/steaks/chicken on the grill. We have a charcoal grill and it makes things taste so yummy
- Shorts, t-shirts, maxi skirts, SANDALS (Ughhh I hate socks and shoes), flippy-floppies, tank tops
- Getting a tan. I haven’t been trying to, because this sun is hella strong down here, but I do wear SPF 15 lotion daily and some sun gets through. WEAR SUNSCREEN!
- Thunderstorms. Ahhhhh. I miss these so badly!!
- Running in the rain. Again, can’t really do this… I mean, it’s a big deal if we have a 10% chance of rain.
- The fact that I’m not cold 24-freaking-7. I’m still that crazy person who takes a sweater into BDubs or Chili’s in the middle of SUMMER.
- Hanging clothes outside. Again, another memory from living at home, but sheets always smelled soooo good.
- Bath and Body Works’ Berry Vanilla body spray from last season. It’s summer in a plastic container.
So, friends, there’s my list of reasons I love summer. I really love all the seasons for their own reasons. I just have to say something to the people who give the desert crap for being hot: IT’S A DESERT. Of course it’s hot. But youuuuu also live in Georgia/Tennessee/Illinois/MIssouri, where it’s ridiculously humid and therefore makes it feel like 147 degrees Fahrenheit. At least our relative humidity is 6-8%. I’ll take that over 85 degrees in Illinois. Seriously. And by the way, we have some kickbutt tumbleweeds out here. You win some, you lose some.
2 thoughts on “Summer nostalgia”
I would MUCH rather do desert heat than midwest heat/humidity. My propensity to make smoothies goes up a TON, which is always a win 😉
I love summer more than any time of the year. Not that I welcome the 110+ degree heat, but (thankfully) those days don’t last all summer. Summer is when I’m planting my flowers (something I begin during April), eating ice cream, knowing that as late as 8 p.m. I can still water if I can’t break away from a good movie. Love summer!